WHAT IS SEXUAL ASSAULT?
Sexual contact with anyone who cannot or did not give informed, willing consent.
Types of Sexual Assault
- Unwanted sexual touching
- Rape—-sexual intercourse against a person’s will including marital, stranger, or acquaintance rape.
- Forced sodomy–anal or oral sex against a person’s will.
- Forced object penetration–penetrating someone’s vagina or anus, or causing that person to penetrate her against that person’s will.
- Incest–sexual intercourse or sexual intrusion between family members
Who are the victims?
Anyone can be sexually assaulted, at anytime, at any place.
What are some signs?
Sexual assault lasts long after the survivor reports to law enforcement or seeks medical attention
Some signs that someone may be a sexual assault victim:
- Fear of people
- Destruction of trust in people, even those in no way connected to the assault
- Physical scars and/or disabilities
- Feelings of extreme isolation
- Loss of self-esteem
- Guilt that she in some way caused the assault
- Loss of sense of security in her surroundings
IF YOU HAVE EXPERIENCED SEXUAL ASSAULT…
- Go to a safe place
- Call 911, talk to the police.
- Get support.
- No matter what decisions you make, you have done the best you can. You deserve to have all the resources available to you.
IF YOU KNOW SOMEONE WHO HAS EXPERIENCED SEXUAL ASSAULT…
- Be supportive. Really listen.
- Do not ask for details. Give them the opportunity to talk about their feelings, fears, and reactions, as they choose.
- Remind the victim that it is not their fault. No one asks to be sexually assaulted.
- People have the right to be safe from sexual violence. The offender, not the survivor, must be held responsible for this crime.
- Be gentle, patient, and sensitive to their needs. Don’t presume you know their needs. Ask before you reach out.
If you or someone you know has experience sexual assault we can help. Call us at 916-428-3271 and learn about the programs and services we offer.
My Sister’s House also has a hardship application for survivors of sexual assault. You can find the application here.